Monday, June 26, 2006

A magic penny.

I give to the homeless.

I give money directly to the homeless person, despite the recommendations of the homeless charities, and I also give money to the charities. The charities provide, with my money and the money of others, food and shelter for the homeless. The money I give directly - that's for the recipient to decide. I don't drink and I don't take drugs - I don't agree with drinking or taking drugs - but if that's his or her choice, then so be it. If it's what makes him happy, if it's her way of blocking out the pain and the sadness, then so be it.

I am confident, though, that many of the people on the streets are interested at least on some level in improving their situation - in staying alive rather than blocking life out. They buy food, they buy a new blanket, they buy shelter for a night.

But there is more one can give to the homeless. Not just money - you can buy food for them, or buy the new blanket. I've done this, too, and I have also on occasion sat down with them, and been an ear willing to listen. People need food and warmth and comfort - but they also need companionship. Friendship. Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home